09 April 2010

Where there's a need, there's a rice cooker!!

It was late January in the busy city of Kolkata, India and I was desperate for a hot shower. I, along with two friends and two children, were staying on the floor of a apartment being renovated. It had been 7 days since I had a "proper" shower. (Please see definitions below)

What is a proper shower, you ask?
In America- taking your time standing under a flow of hot water, shampooing and conditioning your hair and scrubbing down your body with a beautifully scented body wash and clean loofa.

In India (where I was)- squatting down while pouring warm/cold water over your head with a scoopy... you use your shampoo for both hair and body.. there's no time or enough water in the bucket for conditioning your hair.

Now that we got that straight... it had been 7 days of a wash cloth shower. I was completely desperate for some hot water. The climate in Kolkata was pretty chilly in the nights and the water that came out of the tap was like ice. That's where the the rice cooker comes in!

We had been lent a rice cooker from a family to cook our food in for the week we were there. This was the only appliance we had and who would have known, we would use this glorious machine for all our needs... starting with a hot shower-

After my body was finally refreshed, my mind started kicking and I began to use the rice cooker for all sorts of creative things-
Did you know that you can do these things with a rice cooker?
1. Boil Eggs
2. Make Chai
3. Make an entire meal (steam veggies on top of the rice)
4. Make Oatmeal
5. Boil Water
-for dish washing
-showering
-cleaning

So, if you're ever stuck on a deserted island and all you have is a rice cooker... find some electricity and have fun:)

Chai Anyone?
Jeewan demonstrating the bucket shower
I used a dupita and shawl to keep me warm.

1 comment:

Amy Reece Spahr said...

hilarious... oh the memories we made, keak!